You are here
This book is customizable for courses with annual enrollments of 100 students or more.
Beautiful full-color photography, effective illustrations, carefully written exercises, and a reasonable price combine to make Microbiology: Laboratory Theory & Application the best-selling microbiology lab manual series on the market. This edition satisfies the content needs of courses populated by majors or in nonmajors courses where an increased coverage of applied microbiology is desired.
About this Product
- Contains 119 exercises covering a full selection of clinical and applied microbiology topics not found in the briefer versions of the manual, including:
- Microscopic Examination of Freshwater Microbes
- Reduction Potential
- Clinical Biofilms
- Winogradsky Column
- Nitrogen Fixation
- Soil Slide Culture
- Restriction Digest
- Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Phage Typing of E. coli Strains
- ELISA for Detecting Antibodies in a Patient's Sample
- Theory and Application provide students with the general principles and everyday purpose of the labs.
- In This Exercise clearly explains what students can expect as they work through the Lab Procedures.
- Biochemical reactions for the organism and indicator reactions of the test depict the reactions taking place in the lab.
- Materials, Medium Recipes, and Procedures give students step-by-step instructions for conducting the labs. Biosafety levels are also included so that students are aware of the safety precautions necessary for each lab.
- Tables of results help students organize and interpret results.
- Data sheets provide students room to record their data and answer critical thinking questions.
- High-quality, full-color photographs, micrographs, and illustrations ensure that students have color-accurate visual representations of what they will see in the lab.
- Photographs and procedural diagrams outline the steps necessary to correctly complete the lab.
- Photographs with directional arrows help ensure students use proper technique.
- Clearly written, informative captions help ensure students use proper technique in the lab.
Instructor Resources Available: Login to view Instructor Resources
- An online Instructor's Manual contains tips for the instrcutor and answers to all of the exercises.
- All of the images from the lab manual are provided electronically. Images are presented at digital display resolution (150 dpi), intended for use in PowerPoint presentations.
What's New in this Edition
New to this edition of Microbiology: Laboratory Theory & Application, 4e
- Increased emphasis on good technique to minimize aerosol production
- Reduction in the number of BSL-2 organisms used, and where possible, replaced with suitable substitutes that provide the same result
- Data sheets have been moved from the back of the book to immediately follow the corresponding exercise
- New and revised photographs and artwork throughout
- Many exercises have been revised, re-organized, or enhanced in order to improve clarity, reflect current taxonomy, and reflect CDC changes
- New content includes:
- Sample “safety contract” for students
- Section devoted exclusively to handing BSL-2 organisms
- Hand washing exercise
- T-streak inoculation
- Instruction on Köhler illumination for the light microscope
- Exercise on Yogurt CFU Density of an Active Live Culture and Identification of a Yogurt Unknown
- Heavily revised exercises on Restriction Digest and Polymerase Chain Reaction now utilize “from scratch” protocols replacing commercial kit