You are here
Beautiful full-color photography, effective illustrations, carefully written exercises, and a reasonable price combine to make Microbiology: Laboratory Theory & Application the best-selling microbiology lab manual series on the market. This edition satisfies the content needs of courses populated by majors or in nonmajors courses where an increased coverage of applied microbiology is desired.
About this Product
- This version of the manual contains 34 exercises that are not included in the Brief Edition, including:
- Microscopic Examination of Freshwater Microbes
- Reduction Potential
- Clinical Biofilms
- Winogradsky Column
- Nitrogen Fixation
- Soil Slide Culture
- Restriction Digest
- Polymerase Chain Reaction
- Phage Typing of <i>E. coli</i> Strains
- ELISA for Detecting Antibodies in a Patient's Sample
- Includes more than 500 full-color, high-quality, color accurate photographs, micrographs, and illustrations.
- Exercises have been written to provide exposure to lab experiences from all areas of microbiology.
Instructor Resources Available: Login to view Instructor Resources
- An online Instructor's Manual contains answers to all of the exercises and electronic access to all of the images in the manual.
- All of the images from the lab manual are provided electronically. Images are presented at digital display resolution (150 dpi), intended for use in PowerPoint presentations.
What's New in this Edition
New to this edition of Microbiology: Laboratory Theory & Application, 4e
- Increased emphasis on good technique to minimize aerosol production
- Reduction in the number of BSL-2 organisms used, and where possible, replaced with suitable substitutes that provide the same result
- Data sheets have been moved from the back of the book to immediately follow the corresponding exercise
- New and revised photographs and artwork throughout
- Many exercises have been revised, re-organized, or enhanced in order to improve clarity, reflect current taxonomy, and reflect CDC changes
- New content includes:
- Sample “safety contract” for students
- Section devoted exclusively to handing BSL-2 organisms
- Hand washing exercise
- T-streak inoculation
- Instruction on Köhler illumination for the light microscope
- Exercise on Yogurt CFU Density of an Active Live Culture and Identification of a Yogurt Unknown
- Heavily revised exercises on Restriction Digest and Polymerase Chain Reaction now utilize “from scratch” protocols replacing commercial kit