You are here
Available February 1, 2019
Exploring Biology in the Laboratory: Core Concepts is a comprehensive manual appropriate for introductory biology lab courses. This edition is designed for courses populated by nonmajors or for majors courses where abbreviated coverage is desired. Based on the two-semester version of Exploring Biology in the Laboratory, 3e, this Core Concepts edition features a streamlined set of clearly written activities with abbreviated coverage of the biodiversity of life. These exercises emphasize the unity of all living things and the evolutionary forces that have resulted in, and continue to act on, the diversity that we see around us today.
About this Product
- Introductory material provides context for the material covered in the chapter and helps students apply what they learn.
- Objectives clearly state what students are expected to know by the end of the chapter.
- “Just Wondering”: set of five or six pre-lab questions per chapter to promote student engagement.
- An extensive, full-color art and photography program includes many specimen and dissection images, labeled diagrams, and helpful life-cycle illustrations. In addition to providing the necessary images to help students work through the lab procedures, the manual also includes hundreds of images of representative organsms, providing ample visual support for the lab.
- Exercises have been designed to be safe, interesting, and meaningful.
- Procedures with accompanying illustrations and photographs guide the student activities in the lab. Ample room is provided for students to draw and record their answers.
- Check Your Understanding questions are provided throughout the book to measure students' understanding of important concepts.
- The Chapter Review contains:
- “Mythbusting”: set of four to seven myths per chapter for students to debunk.
- Thought-provoking questions, including multiple choice, matching, fill-in-the-blank, labeling, and short answer, to assess student comprehension of the material.
- “Did You Know?” sidebars offer fun tidbits and trivia to stir up interest in the topic at hand.
- Hints & Tips aid students in understanding tricky content areas where attention to fine detail is necessary.
- Warnings are posted where applicable to make students aware of potential risks when dissecting certain organisms or performing certain experiments.
Instructor Resources Available: Login to view Instructor Resources
- An online Instructor's Manual and prep guide, including supply order information, tips for the instructor, estimated lab completion times, and answers to all student questions.
- Digital test bank to help you build quizzes that can be printed or exported to your learning management system.
- All of the images from the lab manual are provided electronically. Images are presented at digital display resolution (150 dpi), intended for use in PowerPoint presentations.
What's New in this Edition
New to this edition of Exploring Biology in the Laboratory: Core Concepts, 2e
- New chapter on scientific notation and the metric system
- New and revised artwork throughout the manual
- Updated Check Your Understanding and Chapter Review questions
- New tables for recording procedural data and experimental results